What is mental health?
Just based off the definition I'm pretty sure each and every one of us has suffered from mental health issues. I myself have suffered from depression and anxiety for years and just within the last year I have really found ways on how to cope with it. The thing is, people don't really understand the impact they can have on others who suffer from mental health issues. Here's my most recent story. I have done a lot of self development and self growth over the last one, almost two years now. I honestly can say I am not the person I was a year ago. Am I perfect? Hell no! I work on me each and every day and rather than be self consumed on my issues and my feelings I have really seen the joy and benefit of making others feel good and helping them. So most recently I had a bit of a set back in my progression. Someone who has known me for a very long time is pretty much set in their ways of how they see me and I really think no matter how much I change and grow they will never see that growth or change in me. The problem is when people see you one way and expect certain behaviours from you and everything you do or say can be twisted and perceived not how you had intended. So this person who thinks they know me perceived what I had said as malicious but meanwhile I was just stating a fact and trying to explain why I wasn't in control of this one particular thing we were talking about to change it. So after a few days of letting this situation bother me I now know that this person will see me the way they do because for years people couldn't relate to me because I was very quiet, which made me seem snobbish , I did things a certain way and expected them done that way because otherwise my anxiety, stress and OCD would go into overdrive. I came across cold or a bitch because I was trying to protect myself from years of getting hurt and abuse I incurred from others.
I was who I was and can't change the past but I have been able to change my present. To me now BITCH means beautiful, intelligent, thoughtful, caring, human. I truly believe in self care, meditation, eating right, and being active which I believe all help me be better mentally. I also found essential oils! Essential oils have truly helped ground me and my emotions and I have the tools now to face my anxiety and stress. When I use my oils I physically can feel the positive difference they have on me. Some of my favorites are Wild Orange. Very uplifting oil and I am instantly happier when I inhale the scent of orange. I use Balance, Vetiver and Frankincense on my feet daily. It helps ease my anxiety, and stress and the anger that can come from feeling both of those things. My Peace roller ball is one that travels with me when I'm on the go to help with anxiety and stress. Living with mental health issues can put a toll on your body so finding ways to cope is so important. Here are some great ways to help cope with mental health that anyone can do.
1. Think positive. No matter the situation you are in think about one good thing that can or had resulted from it
2. Exercise/Move daily. It has been medically proven exercise helps release the 'happy' juice in your brain making you feel better
3. Start meditating. Focus on your present state and breathing and take deep breaths. Deep breathing has been shown to help relax the body.
4. Do something every day to help others. Doing for others helps not only them but you too. It makes you feel good to give back
5. Express gratitude. Think about daily at least one thing/person you are grateful for and why.
6. Live in the present. Thinking about the past can induce feelings of depression especially if you had a rough past and worrying about the future can increase feelings of anxiety for those who suffer from that. So focus on the present and why it is so awesome!
7. Surround yourself with people who make you happy. They say the five closest people you hang out with is who you become. Choose wisely.
8. Continue learning. Keep working on you and self development. Whether you want to be a better leader, a happier person, whatever it is keep learning.
9. Don't give up. Life isn't a sprint but a marathon and we all have a long way to go and there is no cheating to getting better.
10. Set goals for yourself and pursue your dreams. Anyone who have achieved a goal in their life first started off with a dream that they set into action. Make plans and go for it!!
There are many people I have discovered that have inspired me to be the best version of me that I can be. Find someone who inspires you and be the best version of YOU that you can be!
My name is Gloria Mattia. I'm a Wellness Advocate, single mother of one and on a journey for better health and well being. Over the course of the last while I have been transforming my life one day at a time into the life I want. "The best way to predict your future is to create it. Abraham Lincoln"